LOTO is the most-cited OSHA standard for manufacturing, and a lack of procedure or inadequately documented procedures are among the most common violations cited by OSHA.
Employees can be seriously or fatally injured if machinery they service or maintain unexpectedly energizes, starts up, or releases stored energy.
In order to prevent these possibilities, one must use a LOTO procedure as it provides a level of protection whenever your employees engage in service or maintenance operations on machines that are capable of being locked out and that expose them to hazardous energy from unexpected energization, startup, or release of stored energy.
One of the most important things is to know what to lock out, and that is any energy-isolating device that is capable of being locked out. An energy-isolating device is considered “capable of being locked out” if it meets one of the following requirements:
- If it is designed with a hasp or other part to which you can attach a lock such as a lockable electric disconnect switch.
- If it has a locking mechanism built into it.
- If it can be locked without dismantling, rebuilding, or replacing the energy-isolating device or permanently altering its energy-control capability, such as a lockable valve cover or circuit breaker block out.
Additionally, effective procedures must inform workers not only what to lock out but also how to lock it out in order to create safe work conditions. You can create procedures by following these three steps:
- Determine the type of hazardous energy sources for each piece of equipment.
- Determine the steps necessary to isolate and lockout the energy.
- Document the results and make plans to lockout and isolate the energy.
The main priority is that employees stay safe and for that to happen they must follow an established procedure to ensure that machinery will not be re-energized until the same employee who placed the lockout device on the energy-isolating device removes it. If you need assistance in training your employees, we here at Safety Solutions and Supply are proud to offer different training services. For more information or if you have any questions give us a call today at 866-537-2262.
Safety Solutions & Supply
314 E. Canal St. (State Road 60)
Mulberry, Florida 33860
E-mail: [email protected]