An effective LOTO program is key to a successful business as it will make for a safer work place, which will lead to better employees and overall a more productive business. Listed below are five steps to help you do just that:
- Write down your energy control program and policies: The first step should always be a written lockout document as it establishes the foundation of your overall program.
- Write down equipment-specific lockout procedures: Separate procedures must be created for each piece of equipment. Specific steps for shutting down, isolating, blocking and securing equipment, should be included in your procedures. Detail placement, removal and transfer procedures for lockout-tagout devices, could also be included.
- Label all energy control points: OSHA standards state that all energy control points including valves, switches, breakers and plugs need to be adequately labeled or marked with permanently placed labels or tags. Be sure to include information about the control point’s magnitude and purpose.
- Training, Communication, and Inspection: OSHA requires you to train your employees on lockout-tagout and provide proof that they received the training. To comply with OSHA’s standards, establish formal training programs for each of the three employee categories: “Authorized,” “Affected” and “Other.”
- Equip your employees with the proper lockout tools and warning devices: In the end, the proper application of the lockout hardware makes for a successful program. Having the right tools for the job is important, regardless of your industry. Lockout devices should be standardized by size, shape or color and the locks used for lockout-tagout, should be distinguishable from locks used for other purposes, be durable and strong enough to prevent removal, and remain under the exclusive control of the individual who attached them.
Communicating more effectively can prevent potential incidents, if you need assistance in training programs for your employees, we here at Safety Solutions and Supply are proud to offer different training services. For more information or if you have any questions give us a call today at 866-537-2262.
Safety Solutions & Supply
314 E. Canal St. (State Road 60)
Mulberry, Florida 33860
E-mail: [email protected]